Day 3, April 3 2018
After visiting ‘Masroor Rock Cut Temple’ we went to visit ‘Kangra Fort’. Kangra Fort is 22 km from Dharamshala. The fort is spread over an area of around 4 km and is guarded by high walls. Kangra Fort is claimed to be the oldest fort in Himachal Pradesh.
Darwazas, built by various conquerors are plenty in the Kangra Fort. Access to the fort gained from the Ranjit Singh Darwaza which leads to the Jahangiri Darwaza through the Ahni and Amiri Darwazas. From Jahangir Darwaza, a path leads to the Andheri Darwaza. From the Andheri Darwaza, the path divides itself into two. The one leading to the left reaches the Darshani Darwaza.
The Laxmi Narayan Temple and the Sitlamata Temple, that stand at the end of the Darshani Darwaza. The earthquake of 1905 had caused much damage to the temples, still both temples have exquisite carvings to amuse you. Standing to the north of these temples is the Ambika Devi Temple. To the south of the Ambika Devi Temple, there are two small Jain temples.
According to local belief, Maharaja Susharma Chandra of Katoch dynasty made the fort around 3,500 years ago. According to the historical records, Raja of Kashmir Shreshta was the first king to attack the Kangra Fort in 470 AD. It is believed the fort has 21 treasure wells with each well being 4 m deep and 2.5 m wide in circumference. The ruler of Gazani managed to loot 8 wells.
The Mughal army led by Akbar made 52 failed attempts to capture this fort in the early 17th century. His son Jahangir could bring the Kangra Fort under his full control. Then the fort fell into the hands of British troops until a severe earthquake destroyed its strong foundations in april, 1905.
Kangra Fort can be reached by road from Kangra(6 km), Dalhousie(116 km) and Mc Leod Ganj(27km). Private taxis and buses are available from all these places.
The nearest airport is Gaggal Airport(8 km)